Tuesday 10 December 2013

Next interviewee....Sarah Forrester

I now have the privilege to interview Sarah Forrester, a fellow theatre fan and who has seen an abundance of shows during her exciting musical theatre journey.

 Sarah Forrester
Photo Credit: Sarah Forrester

Please tell me how you got into musical theatre/theatre in general?

I have always been exceedingly extrovert and enjoyed drama from an early age. I regularly played the lead in school plays.  When I was 12 years old my drama teacher took me to a musical - I was blown away! We were sat in the gods and I thought I was in heaven! As soon as I had my own money I spent it on theatre tickets.

What have been the highlights of your musical theatre journey?

The absolute highlight for me was winning a VIP trip to The Olivier Awards! For someone like me whose life revolves around theatre it truly was a dream come true! I adored every moment from the red carpet to watching the show from our amazing seats!


 Sarah Forester, a VIP guest, at the Olivier Awards in 2012
Photo Credit: Sarah Forrester

What shows do you recommend that are currently playing in the West End or Regionally?

There are some great shows on at the moment in London - obviously the long standing Shows like Les Miserables, Wicked and Jersey Boys are firm favourites that I would (and have!) recommended to friends!  Of the newer shows, Book of Mormon, Once and Charlie and the Chocolate factory are all fabulous. I recently saw Candide at The Menier Chocolate Factory and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Are there any shows that you haven’t seen that you would like to?

Always !! I have been lucky enough to see hundreds of shows and have seen nearly every show in The West End.  I am yet to see The Bodyguard and One Man Two Guvnors - there just always seems to be another show calling me on my trips to London, but I hope to see them both soon! So many shows so little time !!

What have been your theatrical highlights in 2013?

 Sarah Forrester's Musical Theatre Journey
Photo Credit: Sarah Forrester

Without doubt it has been my visits to The Book of Mormon! My friend and I queued in the freezing cold all day for the first preview! You had to queue first to get a ticket then queue again as it was unreserved seating so basically first come - best seats ! There was such camaraderie in the queue - we were even brought out donuts by the theatre staff ! The show is just fantastic - yes it has a lot of bad language, but it also has great heart ! Doing the lottery for The Book of Mormon is a great experience! It is so exciting and I honestly don't think I could have been more thrilled if I had won the actual lottery!

Another surprise highlight was Candide at The Menier Chocolate Factory.  I had never seen (or even heard of!) Candide before.  I am not very keen on operatic style singing either but absolutely loved the show! Each of the stellar cast were excellent with particular highlights being David Thaxton and Scarlet Strallen. Just wow!

What show are you planning to see next?

I have tickets for Jeeves and Wooster and Miss Saigon (opening night, weekend of West End Live and my birthday weekend ) but I am planning on seeing Strangers on a Train, The Bodyguard and One Man Two Guvnors with a regular trip to The Book of Mormon and Les Miserables thrown in for good measure! I was very lucky to win free travel during 2013 so had many theatre trips to London so I don't think I will manage so many during 2014! 

I would like to thank Sarah for taking part.  She can be followed @fraugretel on Twitter.   Please keep tuned for future interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment