Friday 31 January 2014

A Theatrical Tea Adventure!


This isn't strictly a theatre blog but my recent experience was having Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea where I was invited to 'tumble down the rabbit hole'!  It was definitely a theatrical but pleasant experience!  A fellow theatre acquaintance had afternoon tea there and this arose my curiousity.  After visiting the website I'd immediately booked a table for a future visit to London.


I came across the Sanderson's Hotel on my wanders on a past London trip.  It was good to knowing where it is because I knew where to go!  The hotel may have an ordinary appearance but a luxury one in its own right; I was greeted with eclectic and unique interior decor of furniture which was complimented with soft lighting and adequate spacing.  I took in the atmosphere and ambiance whilst waiting from my early arrival.  When it was time I approached the restaurant's reception desk, reconfirmed my reservation and was taken to my table.


I  began 'tumbling down the rabbit hole' when I was introduced to the choice of teas served in glass caddies.  I chose the the strawberry flavoured tea.  I usually don't sweeten my tea but if you do you experience the musical box of where the sugar cubes are kept.  The waitress opened the vintage book which contained the menu and I received a riddle which was wrapped round my napkin:

If you have it, you want to share it.
If you share it, you don't have it.
What is it?
A Secret

I loved the atmosphere around me whilst having my tea in the hotel's courtyard garden.  It felt surreal hearing retro/eclectic music from the adjacent long bar and at the same time I was hearing the calming rush of water from the courtyard's coffee.  Nevertheless it was pleasant enough and it being winter the courtyard was covered with adequate heating.

 

The home made savoury items were wonderful especially the miniature quiche; I also loved the freshly made savoury and sweet scones and I was truly spoilt for dessert especially the Matcha green tea and white chocolate mousse served in chocolate tea cup and the Drink Me Potion.  I loved the handiwork of the Strawberries and Cream homemade marshmallows and Carrot meringue among pea shoots.  You can check out its menu here!

A good afternoon out even if the experience doesn't come cheap but I feel it was worth the couple of hours indulgence of a Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea.  I highly recommend it if you're into this sort of thing.  I'm now inspired to try out Scrumdiddlyumptious Charlie and the Chocolate Afternoon Tea at One Aldwych which I've booked for a future London trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment