Wednesday 22 January 2014

A mother and daughter's love of Musical Theatre....Interviewees....Alison and Lauren Myers!

I now have the pleasure interviewing Alison and Lauren Myers, whose love for musical theatre runs over at least two generation in the families!


 Alison and Lauren Myers
Photo Credit: Lauren Myers


 Alison Myers

Please tell me how you got into musical theatre/theatre in general?
I always loved watching the old musicals on TV with my Mum when I was younger and we always went to pantomimes at Christmas time. I didn't get into musical theatre until 1994 when I went on a works trip to see The Phantom of the Opera in Manchester and absolutely loved it! I just wanted to go straight back in and watch it again, and it still has the same effect on me almost 20 years later!

What have been the highlights of your musical theatre journey?  
The highlights of my musical theatre journey so far have been seeing Ramin Karimloo in The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies and Les Miserables, seeing Alfie Boe with Matt Lucas in Les Miserables, and after loving her voice for many years, Elaine Paige in The King & I.

What shows do you recommend that are currently playing in the West End or Regionally? 
I always recommend my two favourite shows, The Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables but would also recommend We Will Rock You, for me, three timeless classics! I also think everyone should see Blood Brothers at least once and for something a little lighter I would recommend Hairspray.

Are there any shows that you haven’t seen that you would like to?  
I would like to see everything! I'm very tempted by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, possibly due to very fond memories of the book, so that features quite highly on my "want to see" list!

What have been your theatrical highlights in 2013? 

 Alison with Geronimo Rauch (Jean Valjean in Les Miserables 2012/13)
Photo Credit: Lauren Myers

My highlight of 2013 without doubt was seeing Scott Davies perform with Anna O'Byrne in The Phantom of the Opera, closely followed by Geronimo Rauch and Tam Mutu in Les Miserables. I also got to see my daughter Lauren perform in her first musicals in her school productions of Annie Get Your Gun, The Eighties Show and Annie, and am looking forward to many more!

On my next trip to London next month, I will be seeing The Phantom of the Opera, Once and Les Miserables. I am so looking forward to seeing Gero's Phantom so he'd better be performing that day!


Lauren Myers

Please tell me how you got into musical theatre/theatre in general?
I got into theatre via my Mum. I've always loved it from a young age!
   
What have been the highlights of your musical theatre journey?

Lauren Myers with Sierra Boggess (Fantine (2012) in Les Miserables)  
Photo Credit: Lauren Myers
   
My highlights of the journey would just be seeing the talented people perform. That's magical in itself, but seeing my idol, Sierra Boggess would have to be one of the best highlights! And also meeting the performers backstage and at stage door!

What shows do you recommend that are currently playing in the West End or Regionally? 
I highly recommend Les Misérables, The Phantom of the Opera, Ghost and Mamma Mia.

Are there any shows that you haven’t seen that you would like to? 
I haven't seen Wicked or The Lion King yet.  I would love to see them!

What have been your theatrical highlights in 2013? 
Meeting and seeing so many amazing performers! It's hard to pick just one. Just the chance to see them is a highlight in itself but having the privilege of them speaking to you at stage door is even better!

What show are you planning to see next?
I'm planning to see The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables and Once next.

I would like to say a big thanks to Alison and Lauren for taking part in this interview.  Please keep tuned for more interviews!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment